Sunday, March 12, 2006

Get into Flixster & the Axle Whitehad Project!

Well, hello people out there!
Just a quick posting....

What's going on:

Finally decided to get off my butt and get some work. Will be doing some basic (hopefully) temp work which will take me all the way up until the box office at the Comedy Festival. Can't wait! - watch out for Comedy reviews coming your way from Mid April! For those wanting to catch up for a coffee or lunch... I'll be on Bourke St from this Tuesday... I think only 2 blocks away from AXA!

For those who actually read this blog:

I think I may be able to get around my technological inadequacies and set up either a mailing list to notify of new entries or a way of e-mailing new blog entries to you. If you are interested, let me know and I'll try and set something up.

Flixster:

There's a great website called Flixster (thanks D for inviting me!). Basically it allows you and your community (friends your invite) to rate movies and share ratings. It's a much quicker way to see my movie ratings without having to read through my tedius comments on movies! The only down side is you can't give half stars.

To check it out go to: www.flixster.com

Or to join my community, the following address should work (if not, let me know): http://www.flixster.com/servlet/invite/64570573nmklxtfxzlAB039999


A couple of random photos:


Tree on the uphill climb just near Fairfield Boathouse


Oh Sweet Melbourne by night.
The Commonwealth games fish on the Yarra.
One fish per country.
Yep - I don't get it either.
(Warning - this picture is blurry if you make it any larger, sorry!)
Big thanks to Cheryl & Jase for their company tonight.



A gig review:

The Axle Whitehead Project @ The Cornish Arms, 12/3/2006

They began at a disadvantage. With an $18 pub entry fee, the show obligated to be good. They got off to a very shaky start, the first song was not great and it was next to impossible to work out whether Axle was skatting or singing in another language. However, the rest of the gig had me toe-tapping and dancing in my chair. With a keyboardist, drummer, bass guitar player, lead guitar player, sax/accordian/cow bell player and Axle on vocals, sometimes pretending to play the guitar (don't know why he bothered), they looked like they were having fun on stage and I think that transferred to the audience. They sang mostly covers, and a quite a few that I've seen Axle do before at Bennetts Lane. The highlight was definitely 'Fragile', a beautiful rendition which showed off the talents of the group.

For those who were unlucky enough to miss it. Apparently The Axle Whitehead Project will be performing every Sunday of April at the Cornish Arms. If you are interested, I'm keen to go again... especially if the entry fee is less than $18.


One lonely movie review:

Capote: 3/5

Cast: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener

In a nutshell: PSH deserved the Oscar, but the movie is a bit slow.

Synopsis: Tells the true life story of Truman Capote as he writes one of the biggest novels in American history, In Cold Blood.

The acting from both main characters is great, particularly PSH – and the believe it or not you forget the annoying voice is annoying almost straight away. However, the movie should have been half an hour shorter… they could have just cut out 30mins from the middle, and it would told the story just as well.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Heya Gayle,

Blogs have a built-in way to let subscribers know when you've written a new post. Try to avoid doing extra work when you post stuff; it's enough effort to just write the post!

I'll try and find time to write about how to subscribe to blogs in more detail on my blog but the basics are:

o There's a special file, called a feed that gets updated whenever you add a new post
- You can see that file here
o People who are interested in your blog should use a blog aggregator to subscribe to your blog feed
- The aggregator displays any new posts since the last time you checked

Using an aggregator you can subscribe to many feeds (I subscribe to around 170 and I know people who keep track of over 800!) and keep track of them really efficiently.

Give it a shot - try out the online aggregator Bloglines. It all works much better than my lame description of the process!

And if people *really* want to keep track of it by email then they can use Bloglet. which will email them when a new post is written.

But you'll find it's way more effective to get used to using an aggregator. :)

xox Matt

Gayle said...

Thanks Matt!
Really good advice.

I had started looking into feeds... my friend (incidently also a Matt) pointed me in the direction of RSS feeds. I've subscribed to feedblitz and feedburner, but am yet to figure out how they work. I also briefly looked at bloglines, but might go back and look again.

So does that mean, if people want to subscribe, they can do it themselves, do I need to do anything?

love g

Matt said...

Actually I just found another feed-to-email service called Squeet. With such a cool name I had to pass it on. :)

So if anyone wants to keep track of your blog they can enter:

http://rainbowg.blogspot.com/atom.xml

As the feed URL and when you write new posts they'll get them straight into their email. Not as effective as using an aggregator but if you're only watching one feed it's fine...

xox

Matt said...

And what you said earlier was right - you don't have to do anything to allow people to subscribe, they can do it themselves.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, if you can't give half stars - what about quarter stars??!!

Gayle said...

Wow!! 6 Comments... an all time record on my Blog...although 3 are all from Matt.

So guys, I'll leave it up to all of you to sort out organising your own feed. It sound pretty simple. Thanks heaps Matt, much appreciated!

Amy, I know... you can't even give zero stars... I tried!

Kaz and Stu said...

Hey Gayle!
The travellers have finally got off their blog long enough to check out yours. We both like your tree photo too - weird but they do make awesome shots. Your photo of Melbourne has made us homesick but as we are eating chocolate and lazing about Bariloche at the moment we will get over it :-)) I have to disagree with your harsh review of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - a classic girly flick, one of my faves, it deserves at least a 3 just for the cheesy soundtrack.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Although I´m far away I have felt very loved.
Bessos Kaz & Stu boy xox