Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Only Way to Travel

Apologies for the long over due blog – much to catch up on... here's an index:

  1. Surprise!...Sneaky bastard.
  2. Sun, Sea, Sorrento
  3. Cycling Etiquette
  4. Flags of Our Fathers in style

SURPRISE!... SNEAKY BASTARD

A month or so ago we had some spare time

to kill during which I intended to give my bike a much needed dose of WD40, towelling and chain oil. Gideon insisted that I go for a drive with him – I should have been suspicious then. Getting out of the lift on Basement 3 a strange car was parked in his car spot, I wondered if we had got off at the wrong level, then wondered if he had hired a mini cabrio (the car he had been wanting to buy) for the weekend. In fact, it was his brand new Mini Cooper S Cabrio with THE coolest detailing you will see in Melbourne – I love it! A month before that he had been to the Mini Dealer, but came home telling me that he didn’t buy it, but in fact had purchased it and not told me…. Very very sneaky. But lucky for him, I loooove surprises. It is the most awesome, cutest car! I still get happy vibes every time I see it!


Rene's 30th Birthday


SUN, SEA, SORRENTO

Sunday of Cup weekend – nice time for a drive to the beach… especially in the coolest convertible around! What perfect weather. Here are some happy snaps!


Those Crazy Frisbeers - Tania, Geoff & Paul


Dancing Sophie & Anne


Geordie enjoying some very melted strawberry icecream.



CYCLING ETIQUETTE

(Alternatively you can refer to blog on 1 June 2006 re. morons in the swimming pool – this is somewhat similar, but not in the water.)

These days I am mostly riding the 4km to work in the morning, then the 4km home in the evening. St Kilda Road (Or as the GPS says “S.T. Kilda Road”) has a dedicated bike lane, so it’s relatively smooth and easy riding. Getting out of bed at 8.15 for a 9am start is not out of the question.

It’s on these short sojourns that I often get frustrated by riders who really have no idea or who are just damn inconsiderate. Case in point… a week ago, I was riding home. A gorgeously warm and sunny evening, when riding is almost like gliding and it’s only 15 minutes before I get home and relax for the evening.

Enter the slow rider with no idea. Following someone slow for a bit is tolerable, after all, one can always overtake if you are really in a rush, as was the case for many of the cyclists, including yours truly on the day. The problem was that this guy kept catching up at traffic lights and pushing his way to the front of the line of bikes!?? This happened at every traffic light. At one stage I think he had a queue of at least 10 frustrated cyclists behind him.

Drawing a picture of the whole situation, including spokes and pedalling detail was going to be too difficult! Instead, just for kicks, here’s a picture of my current bike. It looks like it's going really fast!


_____________

MOVIE REVIEW

_____________

FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS IN STYLE

3 course meal in Gold Class… not a bad way to spend a Wednesday evening… the movie was pretty good too.

Flags of our Fathers: 4/5

Cast: Ryan Phillippe (Cruel Intentions), Jesse Bradford (Bring it On), Paul Walker (Fast & the Furious)

In a Nutshell: Well told war story with a good balance of realism and emotion.

Brief Synopsis: Follows three men who were involved in the raising of the flag at The Battle of Iwo Jima, a turning point in WWII.

Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would… war movies are generally not my thing. Clint Eastwood does it again, bringing out the human emotion and experience in any story he chooses. The war scenes are stark and powerful, but all the time supported by the emotion and reminiscence of those who experienced it poignantly edited in. Personally I enjoyed this more than Million Dollar Baby, but I might be in the minority.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

ooooohhhhh........so sexy. James would like to add the comment 'awesome', in regards to the paint job on the car. I just watched Fast and the Furious 3 - so you up for drifting? hehe....

Nice wheels.

Anonymous said...

I *so* know what you mean re St Kilda Rd commuters. Red light running, folks who just don't have the common sense to stay behind those who've overtaken them ... foolish behaviour is rife, there've been reams of posts on the cycling forums about them. Only advice I can give is obviously to keep thinking "white light, white light" ;)