Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Oriental Emporium

Ahh... another sunny day in Darwin.

Just came back from the Oriental Emporium on Bagot Rd. It was f!@#$%n' awesome!
Disappointing that I left it this late in our stay in Darwin to go.

Huge Chinese grocery store that is actually spacious and clean... pretty rare anywhere really.

Was pretty impressed at the range of instant noodles and the fact that they stocked Hakka fishballs, thai fishcakes, dimsims and springrolls. Hakka is the brand that my uncle owns, they make or import (I can't remember), the most delicious thai fishcakes! Of course they are the only brand of fishballs I will EVER buy!

I went in to get a few packets of instant tom yum noodles and walked out with a few extra items:

  • 8 packets of instant noodles of various flavours from the Thai Mama brand (they make awesome tom yum... for an instant noodle)... including Green Tea Tom Yum, I'm keen to try these, haven't had them before.
  • A packet of Hakka Comination Fishballs
  • A Frozen coconut juice - these come in a plastic glass size container and go for about $1.20 in most asian grocery stores and are just yum
  • A packet of black sesame glutinous rice balls - I'm just about to boil them up in a sweet ginger soup

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in Darwin and the emporium is one of our best kept secrets; I'ts really cool.

Anonymous said...

AH! Thank you so much for this! Me and my boyfriend have just moved up to Darwin from Melbourne. I was wondering where to go to re-stock up on all my Chinese essentials. They had my mother's fave "Caramel" sauce, and now I can make fried noodles like back at home. Darwin just keeps getting better ^_^