Thursday, December 06, 2007

Australian Idol vs X-Factor

I know most of you don't really care... but sadly I am a bit of a slave to reality tv talent shows. Without doubt I would say that So You Think You Can Dance? is my favourite. It feels a little less manipulated than the likes of say, X-Factor, and the talent that they attract is a sight to behold.

At the moment I am following the current UK series of X-Factor which into it's semi-final round. If you recall, they attempted to bring X-Factor to Australia a couple of years ago, and failed dismally. Australian Idol also just finished a couple of weeks ago. Comparing the two shows, I have to say that Australian Idol comes up trumps. The talent seems to be much brighter and the show itself is an easier watch. One journalist described X-Factor as a 'pantomime', they are not too far wrong. There is something very artificial and staged about the show, maybe I have been affected after reading Chart Throb by Ben Elton which is a satire on the whole Idol/X-Factor phenomenon. Having said that, the last winner of X-Factor here in the UK has just released her first single, and it is actually brilliant, if not a bit Celine Dionish in a more modern sort of way. Possibly the viewers of X-Factor might be a bit older, and the format for the show allows for a wider variety of singing style than Australian Idol.

Anyway, the reason I started this blog entry was because today I read an article which talked about how one of the songs that one of the contestants on X-Factor, Rhydian (Operatic style voice), wanted to sing in the semi final was vetoed by makers of the show for not being mainstream enough. I beg to differ, especially seeing as he sung I Vow to Thee My Country/World in Union on last week's show. The song he had chosen was The Prayer by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion. For those who are Australian Idol followers, 3 years ago, this was the song that propelled Athony Callea to become one of Australia's highest every selling singles. Given Rhydian's background in opera and musical theatre, I am sure the song would have suited him to a tee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not big on reality TV, myself :)
FYI, Anthony Callea has broken up with his partner.

Thanks for the fantastic updates of late - took me a while to work through it all!

Hope you're doing fine - Son says hi too. Will send you a long, boring email update soon! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a reality TV person either - tho I have been known to watch 'next top model' (or whatever it's called) on occasion.. tho it gets pretty depressing after a while - those girls are twice my height and half my width!

Hey hope you take lots of pics of Canada - I was thinking of going there in 09! Someone told me it is like Perth but bigger and colder hahaha I hope not!

Gayle said...

Hey Milo - Hi to you and Sonia too. I look forward to hearing what you have both been up to, it feels like it has been ages since we last chatted. Oh and thanks for that important info about Mr Callea....you are really up with the latest info! ;P

Jacelyn - Will definitely try and do regular postings while on our Canada/US trip - but will depend on whether we have access to computers, otherwise will do it after NY's!