Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Radio musings

What the deal with radio announcers not actually doing any announcing in this day and age? Let me clarify. Both in Australia and England, DJ's no longer tell you the name or the artist of the song they just played... or is it just me. It seems that it only happens on classical music stations and some easy listening stations now. So, why do we have radio DJ's at all?

Having said that... my snazzy MP3 phone actually has the facility to identify songs while they are on the radio... if only I could figure out how to use it...

4 comments:

Matt said...

Excellent question.
A lot of stations no longer play the songs live. And the "DJs" spend most of their day out selling advertising.

Their shows are recorded in advance, with the DJ doing all their in-between-songs banter in one hit, and sequencing it with mp3 tracks on a computer.

So there's just no love anymore.

Matt said...

Yeah, this drives me nuts!

JJJ usually announce artists but the mainstream stations? Hardly ever.

Should always announce the artists at the end of a song (or set) so you can go look up the artist if you liked what you heard.

Kinda seems like it would be in the best interests of the recording companies to enforce this?

Anonymous said...

Drives me bannanananans too.

w3rd.

Gayle said...

Glad it's just not me. I guess the beauty of technology is that you can always go look up the lyrics on the net.