Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Farewell 'Ol England

The last few weeks have been insanely busy and found me in a grumpy mood for much of it. Gideon has been very patient, putting up with my moodiness and finishing off his thesis and academic year in the meantime.

A few weeks ago, on the 15th July, wewere lucky enough to be invited to attend the Queen's Garden Party at Bucingham Palace. Us girls were very excited about dressing up for thte event a nice change from down town Watchfield. Claire, Clare, Emily and I managed to fit in some dress and hat shopping during our outing to london to have Champagne High Tea at The Ritz (very posh!). Then Clare, Em & I ended up going to a mad hatter in a cute little village called Lacock to have our hats specially made (you can see the results on my Facebook album). On the day we made the 2 hour car and bus trip into London. The boys looked very dapper in their uniforms which enabled us to jump the queue at the Palace. Given the number of people (I hear it is about 8,000 people attend)and the size of the Queen's back yard,it felt like we could have been eating dainty sandwiches and delectable cakes in any park anywhere. Still, the brief glimpse of the Queen and Prince Phillip through the crowd,the mini mudcakes with the HRH emblems on them and especially the company made the day a very special one.

Since then, time has flown. The 25th July was mylast day at RM. I always say it takes about 6 months to really settle into a place and unfortunately I had just about reached that point. I must confess that I will miss all the friendly people and shennanigans there.

The 26th saw another trip into london. This time, for the Kylie X concert (Thanks Claire for organising the tickets). After seeing the Home Coming tour, I had very high expectations. Then due to terrible traffic, we missed the first 30mins... plus we were sitting in the heavens... and yet, I think it was the best concert I have EVER seen. *WOW*! Big call because I have seen quite a few. But the spectacle that Miss Minogue provides, the dancing, the costumes, the stage effects, the acrobatics, the great sound, the fantastic music, and even the mostly spot on singing.... it was all incredible. If anyone wants to go when she brings X to Melbourne, I am there!!

After that it was packing packing packing. Possibly packing is one of my most hated activities...right up there with studying economics. ;P Lucky for us, most of it was done by someone else... and yet it was still detestable. No matter how much I skimp, even after taking out the hair dryer and the kitchen sing, my back pack still weighs a tonne! Anyway, it is all done now. We said goodbye to Watchfield for the last time on the 30th July.

Although our time in Watchfield was peaceful, sometimes fun,sometimes challenging... I am looking forward to heading back to Melbourne. I am definitely a city girl at heart. This I know now. Still, I must admit to being a little sad to leave, especially seeing our little house empty once again. It is as if it never really happened, and that piece of my life is now gone forever. I am extremely sad to be saying goodbye to "The Cool Crowd", our little Aussie community in Shrivenham/Watchfield. Unfortunately we will be all dispersed on our return to Australia. Clare, Shaun, Emily, Warren, Lexie, James, Jon, Clare and Owen*, will miss you lots and look foward to life long friendships across the states. (*see you in Melbourne Owen!)

So now... on to the next chapter... Italy..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chicky.

It must have been quite sad leaving your little cottage in England. I know you said your a city girl at heart but I think you had the best of both world where you were. Never mind you get to come back and spell bound everyone with your posh British accent ;P

You must remember to do a trip to Darwin when you get back. OH not sure if the news has reached you but Janice is pregnant. I believe due about January-ish.

Anyway look forward to your posts about Russia and Italy as I have my sights set on Italy for next year.

Cheers & Hugs
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Heya :)

I read you loud and clear on the difficulty of leaving after you've finally settled in ... but nonetheless, it'll be wonderful to have you back. :)

Love,

Son and Rob