Friday, February 23, 2007

Ups and downs

Today started off well, but soon turned into a frustrating day.

Have picked up two weeks of temp work doing secretarial stuff at a law firm which is nice.

Then got a call from a uni asking if I had any other references because she couldn't get hold of my 3. Big thanks Rob for coming in at the last minute. (It's nice to have friends who have also been your manager!). Seems to have done the job because they called to offer me the job an hour or two later - without interview! I was so wrapt, because it's for a 6 month position which would last me till we leave. But I needed to confirm that she was ok with me leaving at the end of July (which would make it more like 5 months) and that she was happy with me taking leave for a week in March/April and 8 days in June. I thought the 5 months would be the problem, but she was ok with that. The problem was with me taking leave. I even offered to fly back in March between the hens night and the weddings! Turns out she was more keen on having someone for the 6 months who would just get their leave paid out. So close... but not quite. Looking on the bright side, I don't have to travel out to Palmerston every day, and it means I'm free if something else more to my skill (what skills??) turns up. :)

Back to the drawing board. At least I have work to keep me busy for the next couple of weeks. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep at it like Rocky Balboa!! Man, i still have to watch that movie. Nice pics btw. Those places look awesome.

Gayle said...

Hmmm.. haven't seen any of the Rocky movies, and don't know if I could sit through a movie about Rocky as an older guy. Yeah,you'd probably love it, good opportunities for lots of nature photos! Feel free to come and stay if you like, we have a guest room, if you can find some cheap flights. We are here until July!