Friday, March 09, 2007

It's always better when the sun shines

Hi Everyone!

Must apologise for my very sad and sombre blogs over the last week or so. Feeling much much better now!

Maybe it has something to do with the weather, or maybe it had something to do with Gideon being home for a whole 31 hours... Funny that since he came home the sun has been out - in a literal sense. Anyway, he disappeared again this morning for another 10 days. At least there were no tears this time, and ten days doesn't seem too bad. All in all, I'm in a very positive mood about everything at the moment, back to my usual self, almost :)

Wednesday night was a bit of a mixed night. I decided I was going to surprise Gideon and drive out to the airport to pick him up. So I hopped in the Mini, revved up the engine, and moved about 30cm before stalling the car and hearing a loud popping/snapping sound. After having a look at the car, I got back in to try again, hoping that I hadn't done something to the car! This time I managed to get out of the gate before stalling! Then finally I was on my way, be it in only in first gear! Started to do a lap around the block, actually quite proud of my driving prowess, only to hear a recurring flapping sort of sound, as if there was something attached to the wheel that was hitting something everytime the wheel went around. Plus it was exaccerbated when I put my foot on the brake. I was totally convinced I had broken the mini.

Finally Gideon got home - it was so wonderful to see him. And this time, despite the long wait at Sydney Airport, he had made the flight home without getting vomited on by a little kid... that always bodes well for a good flight. :) With a very heavy heart I told him about the car, so he went down to check it out. After a bit of a drive, the sound went away, he thinks it may have been because of the humidity and the car being undriven for 11 days, the wheels had developed flat spots! So all seems to be good, and I'm looking forward to attempting to drive to dance class on Monday. :D

I have also been actually doing some work for the last couple of weeks which definitely does some good for the soul. Legal secretarial work for most of the two weeks, which while interesting in some respects, has been a little boring as well (JC, I don't know how you do it). There's one more career to cross off the list! Yesterday and today I have been on reception, and given it is a small firm I've had lots of time for e-mailing and now blogging!

Here's a flash update from my garden!
After replanting some seeds and keeping the garden beds inside, 3 of the 7 plants have been sprouting furiously! Seems bringing them inside was a good move. So far the basil seems to be a winner, closely followed by what I think is mint, and then possibly the blue flowers... I'm not sure because I didn't mark them. Hopefully they will continue to grow so that I can confirm!

Not much else to report, except that things are also gearing up for my flying visit to Melbourne. It's only two weeks away! I'm extremely excited to see all of you and do some dancing and celebrating!

love gayle


_____________

MOVIE REVIEW
_____________

The Illusionist: 3.5/5

Cast: Edward Norton (American History X), Paul Giamatti (Sideways), Jessica Biel (Blade III), Rufus Sewell (Dark City)

In a Nutshell: A great atmospheric character piece, not quite as impacting as The Prestige.

Brief Synopsis: Magician incurs the wrath of the Emperor's son who sets the Chief Inspector on him to shut down his show.

I was a little disappointed with Edward Norton, my favourite actor, in this movie. As the title role, he feels quite distant and unobtainable, possibly that was his intent, but it means a slight disconnection with the audience. The accent was a contributing factor, as it seemed to wibble wobble between American, British and possibly German or Italian - I couldn't tell. But I guess all of the actors struggled with the accent, not quite knowing where to pitch it. Biel and Sewell are ok, but it is Giamatti who makes the movie. As the police inspector doing the dirty work for the Crown Prince you would think that he would be a hateful man, but there is something subtle about him that is likeable and almost humourous. The movie is not quiet as intense or suspenseful as The Prestige, and you can sort of spot what is going to happen long before it happens, but there is a very nice mystical atmosphere about it, it is not in your face, and rather it beckons you to watch closely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol sometimes I don't know how I do it either! Well, mainly I don't know WHY I do it =)

So glad to see you're feeling better! I haven't been on the net much so only just am catching up with everything..

Amazingly I got my bro to come to a salsa class last night hahaha wish we could say we'll all be pros by next we meet, but I think it's just as well you're in Darwin and we're here in Perth!

Eh? Hips? what hips? What? Style?

Almost stacked it 3 times trying to do this coca cola thingummy - I think I need some new shoes (hehehe just don't want to admit to my lack of coordination)

Spot? spot what?