Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Something to give you a laugh.

I locked myself out of the apartment this evening. Am I totally blonde?? Don't answer that.

That's the problem with those damned doors that you can lock by just pulling them shut. That, and the fact that your housemate is away. :p

Was on the way to the DVD shop ($1 Tuesdays - bargain!). Even remembered to grab the car key because I had misplaced my gate remote and wanted to check if it was in the car. Left my bunch of keys inside the apartment - really no use in there - with my Video card attached to them. Doh!

My kind neighbours let me use their phone and watch the Simpsons (on Foxtel) while waiting for the locksmith. When he finally arrived it took at least an hour to unlock the door, because he was unable to pick it, and ended up having to drill a hole through the lock in the handle (breaking a drill bit in the process), and then replace the cradle inside the handle. Oh what fun to be had on a Tuesday night! Who would have thought it?

On a happier note, rode out to Casurarina again today to catch Bobby (see review below). On the way home, some kind soul took the trouble of sticking their head out the car window and yelling at me "Ride on the footpath!!". That's not the first time either, I've been honked at least once on one of the few rides I've done here in Darwin. I was admittedly going quite slow, maybe only 25 kmph, but it was a 3 lane road that wasn't particularly busy. It's so rare that you see riders out on the roads here, you mostly see people riding on footpaths without helmets (it's legal), I guess cars don't quite know what to do around cyclists here.

Here's a highlight from the Oscars that I missed in my earlier write up. Thanks to my sister for pointing it out. It's probably bet best bit of the night! A little musical skit by Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C Reilly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcsc6eu7Rk8

HERB GARDEN NEWS FLASH!
I do believe I now have at least one baby bud for each of the 7 herbs I planted! Yay!

Oh - and I did make it to the DVD shop in the end and rented 7 DVD's to keep me busy until next Tuesday! 3 x Enterprise discs (=12 episodes - get into them if you haven't seen any, they are sensational! Probably more so if you've seen any of the previous ST series), The Departed, John Tucker Must Die, She's the Man (What can I say, I am reliving my teen years) and 3 Weddings & a Funeral (after reading the article in this month's Empire, I thought it was worth checking out whether the hysteria when it first came out was worth it - I remember I hated it th first time I saw it).

Before I get into the review of Bobby, I thought I'd mention a few of trailers, posters, and up & coming movies.

About a month ago I saw the trailer for the new Transformers movie. Can't wait. I was such a fan of the Transformers back when I was a young kid getting up at 6 or 7am on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons! The trailer looks awesome.. although not sure if it will be for the kiddies, maybe it's aimed at us late 20's/early 30's people who were kids back then.

On a similar note, also saw a poster for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! I think the turtles are going to be computer animated this time round. AWwww... and those turtle suits were so realistic too.

One trailer that I've seen at every movie for the last month is Mr Bean Goes on Holiday. Is this for real?? I have to say that it potentially looks like the worst movie ever. I'm sure it won't be (there has been a pretty good precedence set by the likes of Freddy got Fingered, Basic Instinct 2 and Head over Heels!; )), but I really wish they would stop showing the trailer.

One final one - I can't wait to see Becoming Jane. This is one for the girlies. It's the story of Jane Austen, and the inspirations behind her books. It stars Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy (*sigh*, what a hot little stud muffin!). So far, early critical reviews have been good!

__________

Movie Review
__________


Bobby: 3.75/5

Cast: William H Macy (Fargo), Sharon Stone (Basic Instinct), Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins), Lindsay Lohan (Freaky Friday), Demi Moore (St Elmo's Fire), Emilio Estevez (St Elmo's Fire), Martin Sheen (West Wing), Ashton Kutcher (Mr Moore & Punk'd), Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs), Laurence Fishburne (Matrix), Freddy Rodriguez (6 Feet Under), Helen Hunt (Twister), Christian Slater (Heathers), Heather Graham (Boogie Nights), Joshua Jackson (Dawsons Creek).

In a nutshell: Very good job Mr Estevez, somewhat classier than Men At Work (although I did love that movie!)

Synopsis in brief: Follows the day in the life of 22 people who were at the Ambassador Hotel the day that Robert Kennedy was assassinated.

As it has been said in most reviews, this is a very Altmanesque effort. Personally, all respect to the man, but I have not really enjoyed the few Altman movies I have seen - too many characters, too much going on and a lack of focus. This is in that vein, and similarly I felt like there were so many interesting characters in the movie, but you never really go to know who they were and why they did what they did in the little screen time they had. I wanted to know more, but perhaps that is the beauty of it. As a result, around the middle of the movie, I found myself wondering where this was headed, even though I knew full well the result of the movie - its based on a true story after all. However, with cleverly interwoven authentic footage, the movie really hits the mark in the end. Powerful and moving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you're getting more confident with your wheels. I locked myself out a while ago, ended up breaking into my room through my window which i left slightly ajar!

lol @ your riding adventures...I guess they haven't really got much else to whine about so the cyclist is the next best thing!

Cheerio!

Gayle said...

Hey Jase. Thanks for your comments.

Yeah, going in through windows or balcony doors was an option, even though we are two floors up. But I had locked all of them before heading out, so it was a lost cause.

Yeah, cyclists always get it. Even when it is the drivers who are doing the dodgey driving.

Anonymous said...

HI Gayle,

Hehe I guess all those time your former flatmate locked herself out of the house you learned how to do it well too!

I do have to admit that getting a locksmith does take the cake
Tania